Wednesday, November 21, 2018

OSL - Object Source Lighting in Mini Painting 28mm


I've decided to really dive into OSL on my imperial guard.

Specifically, I want to use object source lighting on all my astra militarum lascannons and plasma guns. It is a much, much, harder technique to learn than I ever imagined. I envy those who are experts at it, and I need feedback. 



Its difficulty comes from the fact that there is nothing on the model that defines where to paint the OSL. When you are painting a model normally, the shapes, edges, crevices and curves tell you how the paint should flow, what areas should be darker or lighter, when to change colors, etc.



But with OSL, you don't have any of that guidance - and since each models pose is relatively unique, you have to really imagine and come up with the vector for the light source in your head each time.



It's a pain in the ass honestly. But I've definitely learned that the more you do it, the better you get at it. Which is frustrating when you are painting an army like the guard, as it means an observant viewer can see which models were your first, and which were your last. But so be it, for the emperor!


No comments:

Post a Comment